This plant-based cream cheese is going to be a favourite, whether you’re vegan or not. Many of us are looking for ways to change towards a more plant-based diet, and cheese always seems a kind of stumbling block.
Of course we’re lucky in South Africa, with vegan cheese suppliers (Irene’s Gourmet, Urban Vegan, and Fauxmage to name a few) that are flourishing and offer a wide range. At the same time, it’s easy to get creative in the kitchen, and make your own fresh cream cheese, completely dairy free.
Cashews are fantastic for creating a subtle nutty flavour and creamy texture. It creates the perfect base for a variety of toppings on your bagels to create a festive breakfast or lunch table.
The narrow base of the 2 litre jug that is used here works perfect for blending this type of recipes (spreads, hummus, nut butter, etc), creating a smooth texture. The silicon spatula is a super handy tool to scoop everything out of the jug into the jar, no wonder we’ve listed is as one of our favourite accessories!
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp coconut yoghurt (optional)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- Soak the cashew for 4+ hours in cold water or 1 hour in boiling water.
- Drain the water and transfer the cashews to the blender and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth and add more salt or nutritional yeast if needed.
- Scoop the cream cheese into a jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Enjoy with bagels (try this Vegan Paleo Bagel recipe to make your own!), crudités and sandwiches.
This recipe was made with the OmniBlend I - 2ltr Pro.