This low-carb variant on traditional hummus uses roasted cauliflower instead of chickpeas, reducing the number of carbs significantly and making it keto and Banting friendly. Most importantly, because of the quick roast, the cauliflower is full of flavour maintaining its firm texture, which creates a delicious spread to serve with pita, or on a club sandwich.
This Roasted Cauliflower and Macadamia Hummus works great on a party platter, or as part of a family brunch for Easter. Serve it in a little clay pot, and stick the carrots in. Just make sure that the Easter Bunny doesn’t catch sight of it before the family is seated ;)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil ( sub with olive oil)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup raw macadamia
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast (available from Faithful to Nature)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional : Activated buckwheat groats & baby carrots to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 and line a baking tray.
- In a big bowl break the cauliflower head into florets and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil, salt and pepper. Give it a quick toss before spreading it out even onto the lined baking tray. Roast for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is soft but not watery. In the last 10 minutes add the macadamia nuts to the cauliflower.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked and macadamia lightly roasted add it to the blender including the rest of the remaining ingredients (except carrots & buckwheat). Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency, using the tamper through the lid.
- Transfer to a small clay pot and add the carrots.
Recipe and artwork by Angelique of The Good Roots. For this recipe Anqelique used the OmniBlend I – 2ltr Pro. Aside from it being a powerful blender for smoothies and smoothie bowls, the narrow base of the jug works well for recipes like hummus, nut butter, and pesto and it’s suited for grinding dry ingredients too. The OmniBlend I has a turndial for variable speed control, as well as a pulse, making this model the blender of choice for homeuse and restaurant kitchens.